AVCon 2011 Pokemon Black & White Tournament
If a level 100 Shuckle uses Power Trick, and is then skill swapped with Pure Power or Huge Power, it would obtain a maximum attack stat of 1228.
Date & Time - Sunday 24th July, 11:00am - 2:00pm
Platform - DS (Contestants must bring their own DS)
Format - League
Player Cap - 128
Gametypes - Six-a-side Double Battle
Rules updates - last updated on 04/05/2011
* These rules are correct at the time of posting.
* Please check back leading up to the event for any possible revisions to these rules.
Please note that Pokemon signups will be mostly held on the Saturday. If there is still room in the tournament on Sunday, signups will be occuring Sunday morning as well.
- Players must exercise sportsmanship before, during and after their matches. Players that exhibit any form of unsporting conduct (swearing at the other player, trash-talking, etc.) will automatically be disqualified.
- Onlookers in the audience who are rowdy or verbally/physically abuse the players before, during or after the tournament will be forced to leave the premises.
- AVCon does not tolerate cheating. Teams or players caught cheating, glitching, or game fixing can face disqualification.
- Only Official Retail DS game cards will be accepted in Nintendo DS tournaments.
Hardware and Software pre-requisites
All entrants are required to bring their own:
- DS/DS Lite/DSi/DSi XL/3DS handheld system
- A retail copy of the Pokemon Black or White DS card
Players will not be able to participate if these are not present. AVCon does not supply participants with hardware and software.
Game Specific Rules
The format of the tournament requires some elaboration. Entrants will be able to battle any other entrant at any time during the designated tournament period (although they may only battle each other player once), and when the battle is over, both players will come up to the main desk to inform the tournament coordinator of their respective ID numbers (assigned when you register for the tournament) and who won. The results will adjust the ratings of both players. At the end of the tournament time, the top few players (likely the top four) by rating will be put into a small single-elimination tournament for semifinals and finals.
Species clause: No two pokemon of the same species on a team. Pokemon in the same evolutionary tree, but at different stages are fine (e.g., Charmander and Charizard is legal, Vaporeon and Umbreon is fine, but two Salamence is illegal.)
Item clause: No duplicate items on your team - for example, you cannot have two pokemon holding Leftovers.
Selfdestruct Clause: If both players are knocked out in the last round of a battle due to Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song, the player who used Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song is considered to have lost. If both players are knocked out in the last round of a battle due to a pokemon using a recoil move and KOing the opponent's pokemon, the player who used the recoil move is considered to have won.
Evasion-boosting moves (e.g., acupressure, minimise, double team) are banned
Evasion-boosting items (e.g., brightpowder, lax incense) are banned
The abilities Moody and Drizzle are banned.
One-hit KO moves (Sheer Cold, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill) are banned.
The move Dark Void is banned
The move Sky Drop is banned (Due to the Sky Drop glitch)
The move V-Create is banned.
Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Garchomp, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Keldeo, Kyogre, Kyurem, Landorus, Latios, Latias, Lugia, Manaphy, Meloetta, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Zekrom
Battles will be six-a-side double battles, with no level limit. Matches will be level-scaled to level 50. The Wonder Launcher may not be used.
- Battles will be run DS-to-DS.
- Battles will be run via the IR battle option in the C-Gear. The Wonder Launcher will be disabled.
- In the event of a connection error caused by one player's DS running out of power, that player will be considered to have lost.
- In the event of a connection error not caused by running out of power, the match will be considered to have no result. The players may battle each other again if they so choose. If both players mutually agree on who was likely to have won the battle, then they may report that result.
- Players may not battle a player they have already battled.
- Players may not change their team in any way between tournament battles - this includes swapping pokemon out, changing their held items, or teaching them moves using a TM or HM. Pokemon may be reordered inside the team.
- Excessive stall tactics will be frowned upon, and may be grounds for disqualification. The definition of 'excessive stall tactics' is up to the staff running the tournament. This rule is unlikely to affect you (I don't believe we've ever invoked it in a pokemon tournament yet, and double battle is particularly unfriendly to stall tactics), but is necessary - against an unskilled player, someone deliberately stalling could draw a battle out for hours, and we do not have the time for this. Playing defensively is fine - running your opponent out of PP is probably not.
- If you believe your opponent has broken these rules in a significant way, please report it to the nearest volunteer, who will investigate the situation and make a decision. Please do not abort the battle unless you are asked to. Be aware that we will frown on frivolous complaints, including technicalities (For example, two pokemon carrying a Potion would not be grounds to contact a volunteer - while, yes, they are technically in breach of the item clause, it's not a breach that matters)
- If a player is disqualified they will be removed from the tournament, with the opposing player being awarded a victory.
- If a problem occurs which is not the fault of the player (hardware failure, disconnected controller, etc), the players will engage in a rematch.
- The Referee and AVCon gaming staff reserve the right to ban any player or group for whatever reason from the tournament before, during or after the tournament.
- For any other situation which arises which is not covered by this rule set, the AVCon gaming staff will confer with the referee(s) and render a decision. Whichever decision is reached by the Tournament Referee is FINAL.
General Console Tournament Notes
- All AVCon tournaments are free to enter.
- There may be delays and time extensions with tournaments on the day.
- All times are accurate to the date of posting. Any changes or updates to these times will be posted as they happen.
- Tournament registration will open at least an hour before a tournament starts. With the exception of tournaments starting at the beginning of the day. Early tournaments will have registration open once doors open. Please refer to the map within this booklet in regards to the location of the Tournaments Registration booth.
- Team-based tournaments will have a singles pool for matchmaking players who don't have a pre-made team.
- In general, custom peripherals such as Arcade sticks and control pads are allowed. We encourage players to bring their own if they don’t play with the default control pads. Peripherals with auto-fire and other game enhancing functions will be rejected. Please refer to the individual tournament rules for the final say on peripherals.
- Wireless Control Pads and Arcade Sticks will be rejected, this is to lower the chance of game-stopping drop outs and signal interference.
- Personal racing wheels (for Gran Turismo 5) will be rejected due to set up times and bulk. AVCon will be providing steering wheels for use.
- Only Official Retail DS game cards will be accepted in Nintendo DS tournaments.
- As Call of Duty: Black Ops and Halo: Reach are MA15+ rated games, these tournaments will be held in the PC LAN gaming area. Entry to this area will require an age check.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops players are encouraged to bring their own Headsets.
If there are any queries in regards to this tournament or any other aspect of the convention please don't hesitate to contact the videogames committee on [email protected]